Concern about new g-b-s logging change - loss of error detection

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Oct 29 15:58:00 GMT 2005

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed - I've been
time-limited to scanning subject lines only recently.

Bourne shells consider only the exit status of the last command in a
pipeline when determining $? - this means that the addition of lots of "|
tee somefile" will cause errors occurring during the commands being logged
to be ignored.

This seems to me to be a more severe problem than not keeping the logs in
the first place - as a failing "make" could result in the packaging of a
partially built package.

Max.