Consensus about man and doc X11 directory structure

Tue Oct 11 01:43:00 GMT 2005

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> What does "Cygwin native" mean?  If Cygwin is meant to be a POSIX
> environment, then X11 should be the standard for GUI apps.

Not gonna happen: it has been stated before on this list that 'insight'
*must* run without X -- which means that tk will remain Win32GUI.

It may be possible, eventually, to have both win32GUI-cygwin-runtime-tk
and XGUI-cygwin-runtime-tk on the same machine, but nobody has
undertaken the daunting task to make that happen.  Ditto gtk.

However, I don't see the problem in assuming that GUI apps are presumed
to be X-flavor (with the tk exception, above).  If at some point
somebody figures out how to build a similar GUI app/toolkit in the
opposite flavor, it can go in /opt/.

--
Chuck