brltty and libusb package ?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org
Tue Nov 1 14:21:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

« BRLTTY[1] is a background process (daemon) which provides access to
the Linux/Unix console (when in text mode) for a blind person using a
refreshable braille display. It drives the braille display, and provides
complete screen review functionality. Some speech capability has also
been incorporated. »

Since we recently ported it to Windows, we thought it might be useful to
include it in the cygwin distribution for much easier installation by
people.

The code is GPL for the daemon part and LGPL for the client-API part.

Debian put it in the "admin" section, I guess cygwin categories Admin,
System or Utils would be appropriate.

Would it be ok to include it in cygwin?

Braille devices are more and more using USB connections. Brltty uses
libusb-win32[2] for accessing them. This isn't packaged in cygwin
yet. Was it ever considered packaging? (it is GPL/LGPL)

Regards,
Samuel
[1] http://www.mielke.cc/brltty/
[2] http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/