how to automatically install all local packages

Tod Courtney tod@crhc.uiuc.edu
Tue May 17 20:43:00 GMT 2005

Max and Brian

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
>

>>> Please let me know if there is a way to force cygwin to install all
>>> packages in the local package directory.  Ideally a command line
>>> option to
>>> change the
>>
>> I don't think there's any way to do this directly.  It's been requested
>> before the ability to specify on the command line certain packages to
>> install, and I think that would be a useful feature to have for people
>> in your situation.
>>
>> You might be able to kludge it though.  If you provided an
>> /etc/setup/installed.db that listed each desired package with a version
>> of '0', then setup should see that the package is already installed and
>> try to upgrade it to the current available version.  E.g. place a line
>> "foo foo-0-0.tar.bz2 0" for each package that you wish to be 'upgraded'
>> (i.e. installed.)  If there are no mounts on the system, though, I'm not
>> sure if setup will know where to find /etc/setup/, so you might have to
>> add the mounts before running setup.  Since you already know the
>> location where Cygwin will be installed, that should be feasible.
>
> The above should work, but there is another option:
>
> Edit the local setup.ini, placing everything you want installed into the
> category "Misc". (They can be in other categories too). Anything in
> either "Misc" or "Base" will always be selected for installation.
>
> Max.

I appreciate both of your helpful replies.  I guessed there would be ways to
'trick' the setup using configuration files and looked a little bit, but
hadn't figured out how to do it.  I understand both of your answers and will
consider them if my patch (see next) takes some time to be accepted.

I did determine how to change the setup code in order to set the initial
installation mode to 'install' instead of 'default'.  Once I found the
place, it turned out to be a very small change.  Basically I added a new
command line option '-I, --install' that installs all available patches,
rather than only installing the 'default' patches.

The patch is included below.  This patch is relative to the HEAD version,
but the same patch can be applied to the current release code without any
changes.  From what I could tell, posting the patch to this list is the
appropriate first step to its possible inclusion in the code.  I hope the
patch can be included, as it will be very helpful to me and my user base,
and seems to have a very small probability of introducing problems.

If there is a better way to submit this patch, please let me know.

On a related note, could someone explain the release schedule for 'setup' or
point me to the place that it is documented?  I am asking so I might
estimate when this patch could become official, if it is accepted.  Ideally,
I would like to start using it right away, as a small update to the
2.457.2.2 release (as well as adding it to future releases from HEAD).  Is
that possible?

Regards
Tod

2005-05-13  Tod Courtney  <tcourtne@uiuc.edu>

	Add 'Install All' command line option (-I, --install) to change the
	initial installation mode from 'default to 'install'.

	* PickCategoryLine.h (PickCategoryLine): Read InstallAll
	BoolOption and change initial installation mode appropriately.
	* PickCategoryLine.cc: Define InstallAll BoolOption

--
Tod Courtney                         Senior Research Programmer
Coordinated Science Lab                      | Ph:(217)244-3203