Welcoming Brian Dessent as setup maintainer

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu May 5 21:20:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> 1) Do they work the same on Win9x?  How about Win2k/NT?

I think so.  But that's why I'm asking people to test it.  :)

> 2) Am I the only one who noticed the typo on the "Installation directory"
> page?  The "Unix (Recommended)" setting should say "LF line endings", not
> "NL line endings", to be consistent with the DOS one.

Yes, I fixed that.  I also used upper case (RECOMMENDED) as it catches
the eye, and I switched the order of dos/unix so that both recommended
choices would be on top.

Also, I fixed the resizing of the remaining pages (splash, root, and
localdir.)  It should all work relatively well now for all pages.

> 3) It would be nice if the "Resolve Dependencies" were a bit more
> fine-grained (i.e., if each unmet dependency were to be a list item with a
> checkbox, so that the user could select individual dependencies to
> install).  This is probably for the future, as the same mechanism we'd use

Yeah, but really either you know what you're doing and can ignore the
suggestions, or you should let it choose everything.

> a good idea to put "(Recommended)" after the "Install these packages to
> meet dependencies" checkbox.

That is a good idea, which I did.

I feel pretty good about the resizing and URL stuff, so I've committed
those.  Max, I'm sorry for dumping a huge change like that without
posting a patch first, but honestly a lot of it was just tedium of
making resizing sane and tweaking the dialogs.

A new test version is here:
http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-2.490.exe

Please kick its tires for me, especially if you have win9x, and so on.
It has the dependency checking patch, which I have not yet committed
because it's not quite done.  But close enough for rough testing.  My
main concern is the UI changes - please let me know if anything displays
oddly for you.

(btw, tried to upload to
/sourceware/www/sourceware/htdocs/cygwin/setup-snapshots/ but got
permission denied.  Do I have the right directory there or do I upload
it elsewhere? )

Brian