Is setup-2.506 ready to release?

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Fri Aug 19 16:41:00 GMT 2005

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Would you mind summarizing these if you have them handy?  I could probably
> find them in the archives, but searching for "setup issues" is notoriously
> hard to get right... :-)

The main one that I wanted to knock out is the fact that the scroll-bar
logic for the custom package selection widget does not correctly
recompute when you resize the window.  To demonstrate this, leave the
window at stock size, set the view to full, maximize the window, then
scroll to the bottom -- you can go way past the last package.  The
inverse also is broken, resulting in the bottom-most packages being
hidden.

I think Gerrit reported that under some circumstances the header
("current | new | bin | src" etc) was not redrawn properly and I think
it was a result of my optimizing the repaint algorithm.  I don't
remember if I excluded that region from the clip area or not - I think I
left it out on the assumption that it would be painted every time
anyway, but apparently there are circumstances where it's not.

There was a problem that cgf reported on 18-July about cycling through a
package with a test version available.  I haven't looked into that.  To
be honest I'm loathe to go near the cycling logic because it's somewhat
byzantine, a maze of if-conditions.

Other stuff, some of which are just wishlist items:

- older package no longer on mirror or cache = odd version cycling
- save window position and misc settings
  (possibly default to a percentage of screen rather than tiny size)
- have intelligence when unpacking that path is valid
  (and/or check mounts for garbage, but careful of network drives)
- warn if user's mirror is not on current list
- function without needing cygwin.com phonehome; potentially cache
mirrors.lst
- accessibility or just less confusing package selection widget
  (or maybe just a way to uninstall things like X11 easily)
- show disk space usage during selection (and anything else useful like
ldesc)
- ftp connections shouldn't be kept open during package selection
- offer user chance to view READMEs after installation
  (or provide pointer to their location)
- unattended install glitches; support for package list in unattended
mode
- over 100%
- longer tooltip timeout

Brian