cygrunsrv

Karl M karlm30@hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 04:26:00 GMT 2005

Hi All...

In testing out my keychain service on a new XP system, I was thinking about
all of the questions that have shown up on the cygwin@... list in the past
about launching a service from a user-id other than SYSTEM. And...I was
wondering how you(s) felt about adding the ability for cygrunsrv to change
user-id before running the target application.

Are there any negatives to doing it?

It seems that the security is no worse than having XP store passwords for
the user-id's of the services.

Other than using OpenSSH as an example, is there any other guidance you
would give?

Or...Corinna...if it is easy, is this something that you would consider
adding?

Thanks,

...Karl