new package: Joe's Own Editor

Joe Allen jhallen@datapower.com
Mon Apr 18 15:36:00 GMT 2005

Thomas Wolff wrote:

>Hi, a short first glance review:
>

>>Editor has syntax highlighting, i18n support and works well
>>in Cygwin console."
>>

>* When I start joe in a console mode window (DOS box) and type a
>  non-ASCII letter, an 8-bit stripped character is displayed in
>  reverse mode instead.

The editor looks at LC_CTYPE to determine the locale of the terminal.

>* When I start joe in a UTF-8 xterm, instead of non-ASCII characters
>  joe displays 8-bit stripped characters in reverse mode for each
>  single byte of the UTF-8 sequence.

This is still correct, because LC_CTYPE is still not set.

>* When I try to enable Unicode with $HOME/.joerc containing the line:
>-encoding utf-8
>  , joe hangs after starting.

You need to copy the joerc file to $HOME/.joerc
It does not look at both file, so if you don't copy everything you don't
have any key bindings.

>* When I have an empty file $HOME/.joerc, joe hangs after starting.

Likewise.

>This is not working i18n support.

Delete your $HOME/.joerc

Then in your utf-8 xterm, type:

  export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8    (LC_ALL will also work).

  joe some_file_with_utf8_chars

(JOE will assume the terminal is UTF-8 and the default file type is
UTF-8.  You can override the file type
 by hitting ^T E in the editor (hit tab at the prompt for a list) or by
using the -encoding option in the joerc file.
 Then JOE will translate between the terminal's encoding and the file's
encoding).