libbonobo, GConf, gnome-vfs (was Re: desktop-file-utils, hicolor-icon-theme, shared-mime-info, startup-notification)

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 15 08:11:00 GMT 2004

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
| Or send me your READMEs?  No just kidding, I don't care much at the moment
| if there are more or less packages.  I think we should get the stuff
| uploaded to get some feedback from the beta testers, even if the README is
| missing.
|
| Also to investigate, which packages need postinstall scripts, I know a
few,
| but for sure there are more.

OK, I worked through libbonobo2, GConf2, and gnome-vfs2.  Anything
dependent on GConf (and installs schemas) certainly needs postinstall
and preremove scripts; see gnome-vfs2 for examples.  I worked from your
source packages, changed the build-scripts, READMEs, setup.hints, etc.
Please take a look at these packages and if you like what I did, then
feel free to take them (I'd rather not maintain these ones, but I'm
willing to help package this time to get us started).

Notes (which may not be showstoppers):

libbonobo:
* make check seems to get stuck at test 13, not sure why (waiting for
something to close?).

GConf:
* gconftool-2 --shutdown does not kill gconfd-2 (not a surprise);
* good news:  Gnome2::GConf tests against this look good.

gnome-vfs:
* I included the necessary postinstall and preremove scripts, these
~  could be used as a template for later GConf-dependent packages;
* I built gnome-ls (http://mrod.interfree.it/index.html) against this,
~  seems to work properly;
* Gnome2::VFS tests raise errors:

/usr/bin/perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0,
'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/GnomeVFS.............ok
t/GnomeVFSDirectory....Urgh, couldn't delete the scratch directory:
Directory not empty
# Looks like your test died just after 26.
dubious
~        Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
~        after all the subtests completed successfully
t/GnomeVFSFileInfo.....ok
t/GnomeVFSOps..........Urgh, couldn't delete the scratch directory:
Directory not empty
# Looks like your test died just after 44.
dubious
~        Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
~        after all the subtests completed successfully
t/GnomeVFSURI..........ok
t/GnomeVFSUtils........ok
t/GnomeVFSXfer.........Failed 2/7 test scripts, 71.43% okay. 0/201
subtests failed, 100.00% okay.
ok
Failed Test           Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
-
t/GnomeVFSDirectory.t  255 65280    26    0   0.00%  ??
t/GnomeVFSOps.t        255 65280    44    0   0.00%  ??

The Gnome2::VFS owner wasn't online tonight, so I'm not sure what are
the cause(s) of these failed tests.

I've uploaded packages (forgot the setup.hints, but they're in the
source packages) to http://cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net/install/temp/
for you.

Yaakov

N.B.  I forgot that gnome-vfs probably depends on shared-mime-info and
gnome-mime-data; these should be added to the setup.hint at least, if
not the README if you get the chance.