setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

John Morrison john@morrison.mine.nu
Sat Nov 13 15:43:00 GMT 2004

> John Morrison wrote:
>> If you are worried about the size of setup, would it help to move
>> /cygwin.bat and /cygwin.ico into base-files?  I've an update going out
>> for
>> this soon and it would be little/no trouble...  (I could even rename
>> them
>> to have a captial 'C' so they don't clash with /cygdrive ;)
>
> It would probably only save a few KB.
> However, I think base-files would be a far more appropriate place for
> these
> to live. They are used in setup.exe's shortcut creation, though, so I
> think
> we should delay the move until we can transfer the shortcut creation to
> base-files too.

I can add that too, mkshortcut from the cygutils package in a postinstall.
 The only issue would be how to get setup to communicate which (if any)
should be created and wether for all users or just current... environment
variables?

J.