setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

John Morrison john@morrison.mine.nu
Sat Nov 13 09:59:00 GMT 2004

Max Bowsher wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
>> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>
>>> So, I'm looking for comments, and suggestions for candidate http/ftp
>>> client libraries to investigate.
>>
>> What's wrong with libcurl?  It has extensive support for all kinds of
>> extended http/ftp features, see for example
>> <http://curl.haxx.se/docs/comparison-table.html>, and is MIT-licensed so
>> should be no problem statically linking it into setup.exe.
>
> Indeed, libcurl was one which came to mind.
> I've yet to play with it, but one thing I'm a little worried about is it
> being *too* extensive - I don't want setup.exe to grow very much.

If you are worried about the size of setup, would it help to move
/cygwin.bat and /cygwin.ico into base-files?  I've an update going out for
this soon and it would be little/no trouble...  (I could even rename them
to have a captial 'C' so they don't clash with /cygdrive ;)

J.