ddd-3.3.8-1 packaging error

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Tue Jan 27 20:03:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:52:22AM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>Brian Ford wrote:
>>
>>>This is just a note to Harold so he can correct this error for his next
>>>ddd release (whenever that is).  Ddd is an X11 app, so it should be
>>>rooted in /usr/X11R6 rather than /usr.
>>
>>I don't know if it is an error so much as something that I have been
>>struggling with.  There is a general consensus in the X community that
>>/usr/X11R6 needs to just go away.  I am trying to put as few new things
>>there as necessary (if a package can be used at all without X, then it
>>doesn't need to be there, IMHO).  Now, the real question is whether I
>>made a conscious decision to root the package in /usr versus just
>>forgetting to change it to /usr/X11R6?  I can't recall doing either of
>>these...  so I really can't say if I was being strong minded or
>>forgetful :)
>

> Just in case it matters: I might have been bothered by X stuff showing
> up in /usr/bin in the past (I can't remember but it sounds like
> something I'd be annoyed about) but this directory does seem to be
> deprecated.  So, there are no objections from my part on putting X stuff
> into /usr/bin.

Good to hear.  I believe that you were previously annoyed by this, so I
am happy to hear that it isn't an issue anymore :)

I'll probably root any new X packages in /usr now.  I will, as I make
other updates, re-root thing in /usr.

The major repackaging of X that is coming in a few months will probably
be rooted in /usr as well.  That repackaging will involve very little of
the legacy cruft directories that clutter /usr/X11R6... if there are
many of those crufty directories left, then I will probably leave them
in /usr/X11R6 (I don't suspect there will be enough to justify this), or
I will move them to /usr/share/X or something similar.  Obviously, I
will be tracking what other platforms are doing so that we are
compatible with the community consensus on where X things should be
located.  Again, nothing changing soon, just making people aware of an
anticipated and general direction of things to come.

Harold