Pending Packages List, 2004-01-09

Yaakov Selkowitz YSelkowitz@netscape.net
Sun Jan 11 21:00:00 GMT 2004

Daniel Reed wrote:

> This is the list of pending packages as of Friday, January  9, 2004.
>
> ** PACKAGE PROPOSERS ** Please verify these fields **

I have an ITP pending for help2man from 07 January which is not listed
here.  It currently has two votes, from rlc and Gerrit Haase.

> Waiting for vote[s]: ploticus otcl tclcl rxp dx GraphicsMagick emacro
> elinks libwin32-perl openldap (GAP) (ns)

I vote pro otcl, tclcl, dx, GraphicsMagick, elinks, libwin32-perl (but
see below), openldap.

> Package: gtypist 2.7-1  [2003-12-09]
>   Proposer: Yaakov Selkowitz
>   Proposal: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-12/msg00127.html
>           Release directory (for use with setup.exe):
>             http://mysite.verizon.net/yselkowitz/cygwin/
> [...]
> Good to go: Gerrit P. Haase (once problems are addressed)
>   Problems: 21943839id2597585 configure out of the source directory
> results in this error: cat: version.sh: No such file or directory
>   HOLD-UPS: Unresolved minor problems.

I have uploaded new tarballs which address this issue, along with
correcting the build reqs and including the HTML documentation.  The new
md5sums are:

35bf4b08221329e51647579ab6581f06 *gtypist-2.7-1-src.tar.bz2
46cfa617663f0a9c185e5297f47c910d *gtypist-2.7-1.tar.bz2
f14d4d68f8ddf020a7954a835ede5200 *setup.hint

> Package: libwin32-perl 0.191-1  [2003-12-28]
>   Proposer: Rafael Kitover
>   Proposal: cygwin-apps-thread.12720@cygwin.com
> [...]
>  Aye votes: Christopher Faylor [1/3]
>            Gerrit P. Haase [2/3]
>   HOLD-UPS: Not enough votes (need 1 more). Unresolved minor problems.

As noted above, I vote pro.  However, since this will be the first perl
module package in the net distro, we should decide now (w/o unnecessarily
holding up this package) how we want to deal with perl modules in general.
- - - From following the ITP thread, it appears as the following issues were
not entirely resolved:

* Package naming RH style (perl-libwin32) or Debian style (libwin32-perl)?

Personally I would prefer the RH style, as it keeps all the perl mods
together, rather than scattering them throughout their respective
categories.  Unless we want to make a new Perl category instead.

* How to file packages in the release directory?

According to Garret Haase's message from 08 January, he's apparently still
not sure how to deal with modules, if they should be subdirs of
release/perl or release/perl/modules.

* What to do with perllocal.pod files?

Some have suggested omitting the perllocal.pod files, while others have
suggested a _update_info_dir approach.  I'll leave the perl gurus to
discuss this one. :-)

Again, as this package now has 3 votes and a good-to-go review (?) as of
08 January, let's not hold this up, but figure these things out now so
that we don't stuck later when more perl modules enter the distro.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.