ITAR legal status (was RE: Non-US Mirror System)

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul@etb.net.co
Tue Feb 24 12:07:00 GMT 2004

Larry Hall broke the silence of shunyata on Lunes, 23 de Febrero de 2004
02:59 p.m., and uttered:

>> Or whatever. It could make things clearer than they now stand, and
>> perhaps nip all this nonsense in the bud.
>

> I'm sure this can be handled on a case by case basis, as it has been
> in
> the past.  However, if that turns out not to be true and we get
> frequent
> questions about what encryption packages are in Cygwin and what ones
> can
> or cannot be added and why, then it would make sense to add an entry
> the FAQ about it.

IMOPE, micromanagement is a sure recipe for disaster. As a manager,
statesman, whatever, one needs a definite and crystal clear policy upon
which to base decision-making "on a case by case basis." Else, why would
we need constitutions and bylaws, expanded by laws and regulations? Of
course one cannot foresee all possible events and circumstances, but one
should build policy from experience.