setup.exe sucks

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Fri Dec 10 01:21:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 07:55:41PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I seem to recall complaints that
>code like this may hang when certain types of firewall/anti-virus software
>are used.  It also may require administrative privileges on the machine.
>As time permits, I'll try to dig up evidence to either confirm or
>contradict this.

These techniques are all over the internet in all sorts of different
packages.  taskmanager itself probably uses something like this.  Cygwin
even has some similar code.

This won't let you read information from privileged processes so it
may not be very useful for the case of stopping services but, then,
I don't think we're going to find anything which will allow us to
easily do that.

However, in keeping with other suggestions in this thread, perhaps I
should suggest either getting "su.exe" working or, at the very least,
making the suid bit work for executables.

cgf