setup.exe sucks

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Dec 8 17:00:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor schrieb:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:52:30PM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
>>BTW: There is new Conectiva packager, which should be the best,
>>and builds out of the box.
>> http://zorked.net/smart/FAQ.html
>>Requires python.
>>
>>Works with .rpm, .deb and pkgtool files and
>>up2date- and Conectiva-style mirror description formats.
>
> Yes, I saw that.  I didn't know that it built OOTB on cygwin.
> Interesting.
>
>>I don't like python that much, but I try how to convert our format
>>easily into rpm or deb and how hard it would be to add a wxpython
>>interface.  gtk already exists.
>
> Converting the tar.bz2 files to rpm files would not be that hard.  It
> should be automatable.  I'm willing to do that work.
>
> I'm not as concerned about the package management as I am about the
> UI, actually.  If we don't have a good UI for initial install, then
> the initial user experience is still going to be painful.

Agreed.
And since there will be no linux UI packager which will work on
Win32-Native also (unless some wxwindows or tk UI appears) someone will
have to bite into the dust and add a win32 native lib to such an UI.
Most just use gtk nowadays.

Smart seems to be the best so far. But maybe it's too early. Released
two days ago :)
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/