More setup 2.427 problems.

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Aug 30 15:01:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Max Bowsher wrote:

> James McLaughlin wrote:
> [snip]
> > , when I tried to download, the program
> > seemed to shoot quickly through (without actually
> > downloading anything, although it did create the
> > directory structure) before I got a dialog box like
> > this:
> >
> > Cygwin Setup
> > -------------------------------
> > Download Incomplete. Try again?
> >
> >      Yes         No
> >
> > I chose Yes, and got this:
> >
> > Cygwin Setup
> > Unable to get setup.ini from
> > <ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/cygwin>
> >
> >        OK
> >
> > This problem actually occurred first with a different
> > mirror - the one that appears on the top of the
> > mirrors list. I had to log off after getting that far,
> > and tried the mirror mentioned above (then got to this
> > point) the following day, so it's not a
> > mirror-specific problem.
>
> Umm. Strange, and I'm not sure how we could go about debugging this.

One very important point when using "IE5 settings" in setup is to
configure IE to "check for newer versions of stored pages" "every visit to
the page" (in Control Panel->Internet Options->Temporary Internet
Files->Settings).  Otherwise, you may be getting stale versions of the
files, and not even know it.

FWIW, the "download incomplete" message means that the size of the file
downloaded was different from the size stored in setup.ini.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw