RFC: Packaging O'Caml

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit@familiehaase.de
Thu Aug 26 19:26:00 GMT 2004

Igor schrieb:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> Igor schrieb:
>>
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > In the course of my real job duties, I built O'Caml under Cygwin.  It
>> > builds OOTB, and, even though there seem to be some minor packaging issues
>> > to be worked out, looks like it'll be easy to package nicely, so I was
>> > considering ITPing it.
>>
>> +1 vote from me.

> Thanks, Gerrit.  At this stage, though, I'm less concerned with getting
> the votes, and more with the licensing issues.  BTW, you ported the
> earlier versions of O'Caml to Cygwin, didn't you?

There was not much porting needed, I have it still online here:
http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/ocaml/
and see the patch for the latest version I did:
http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/ocaml/3.07beta2/ocaml-3.07beta2-1.patch

Used this build script:
#!/bin/sh

cd ocaml-3.07beta2
make clean
./configure -with-pthread \
            2>&1 | tee log.configure
make world 2>&1 | tee log.world
make bootstrap 2>&1 | tee log.bootstrap
make opt 2>&1 | tee log.opt
make opt.opt 2>&1 | tee log.opt.opt
echo ""
echo "All done! Run <make install> now"
echo ""

even they stated in earlier versions that threads are not working with
cygwin.  But I never got to use it really.

>> > However, parts of it are released under the "Q  Public license", which
>> > GNU lists explicitly as non-GPL-compatible.  Does  this mean an
>> > automatic "no" to an official Cygwin package, or does anyone  know of
>> > anything that could be done to enable it?
>>
>> Huh?  It is OSI certified:
>> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/qtpl.php

> Yes, but GPL incompatible
> (<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html>).
>         Igor

ianal, but i see there are also openssl, apache, and other licenses
listed where packages are already included in the netrelease.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=