postgresql-7.4.5-1 ready for review

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Aug 25 18:10:00 GMT 2004

ok, postgresql-7.4.5-1 is ready.

The problems were cygipc related (of course), which I
patched away in configure.

All tests passed ok (besides one minor cr/lf issue. see attached)

The files are at
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/software/cygwin/postgresql/postgresql-7.4.5-1/

just the setup.hint is missing. This is your (Jason) job :)

The src package is similar to your old setup,
   (orisrc/ plus orisrc/CYGWIN-PATCHES/)
but it really should be changed to
<orisrc>.tar.bz2 and the build and patch file.

I'll to change that with the 8.0.0beta1 package.

Jason Tishler schrieb:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 04:13:29PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>
>>Attached is my 7.4.5 build script,
>>not yet converted to the new generic-build-script mechanism.
>>
>>In order to fix the tcl issues I needed perl.
>>There are still minor tcl issues, but I'll fix them soon.
>
> IMO, I would hold off on Tcl until 8.0 in order to get 7.4.5 out ASAP.
>

>>There's another short Makefile.cygwin patch to build contrib/dbase
>>correctly. Hope this will be accepted (or looked at) upstream.
>

> Sending patches to pgsql-patches@ is a better way to get noticed. :,)

ok, I'll do.

>>With the standard order of libs from configure it will fail, because
>>our libiconv is shared.
>>With just the needed libs in the correct order it builds fine:
>>$ gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes
>>-Wmissing-declarations dbf.o dbf2pg.o endian.o -lpq -L../../src/port
>>-lpgport -lintl -o dbf2pg
>

> dbf2pg from 7.4.3 built cleanly for me:
>
>     gcc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations dbf.o dbf2pg.o endian.o -L../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq -L../../src/port -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -lpgport -o dbf2pg
>
> Why is it failing for you?

Because a had -lintl also, which is dynamically resolved.
your built doesn't use libintl.
I wanted to have nls support. :)

>>The first standard regression test attempt (--max-connections=10)
>>failed with:
>

> I recommend using the following:
>
>     make MAX_CONNECTIONS=1 check
>
> I certainly wouldn't use MAX_CONNECTIONS > 5 as indicated in the README.
>

>>[snip]
>>Seems to be a cygserver issue. cygserver is running as service.  I'll
>>hunt that down, but looks strange. Seems that I really linked against
>>cygipc and so it doesn't use cygserver :(
>
> Hmm...  What does cygcheck indicate?

The problem was this autoconf line (configure.in):
AC_CHECK_LIB(cygipc, shmget)

we have now "native" cygwin shmget support. so this check is bogus.
we really should add a check if shmget is in sys/shm.h
something like
AC_CHECK_LIB(, shmget)

(untested)
--