Do I need XFree86 now that XOrg-x11 is the default X-windowing system? (fwd)

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:55:00 GMT 2004

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> pechtcha wrote:
>
>> Harold,
>>
>> I really hate to say this, but "I told you so"... :-D
>

> Yeah, this name change business is a bit of a pain.  I hope that this
> whole X11 feud gets resolved eventually, so people can get back to
> harmony and cooperation rather then wasting energy and resources on
> maintaining separate forks.

What are you talking about?  David Dawes is having a good time working
on XFree86 by himself and everyone else is working on the X.Org project;
I don't see any energy being wasted at all.

Reason this is on-topic: The name change didn't really matter since I
waited to do it until a full release was made, at which point everyone
would have to re-download all packages anyway.

Okay, that's all the education about the X world that is on-topic for
this list.

Harold