clisp is in section misc?

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Wed Sep 24 18:11:00 GMT 2003

Sam Steingold wrote:

>>But isn't that true for any scripting language?
>>

>do all scripting languages come with arbitrary length integers _and_ floats?
>please compute 1000! in perl.

I guess then that the following code admits python in the Math category
too ^_^

 >>> l = 1
 >>> for i in range(2,1000):
...   l = l * i
 >>> l

And perl is "perl" only with the executable, or with all his libraries?
(I guess a bigint library for perl is out there, and maybe also bigfloat...)

IMHO it can't be a question of having "arbitrary precision" math or only
"simple" math, or if that is "intrisic" or "with libraries", to be
"admitted" in that category...

This leads me to think that maybe also categories could use a
"Description", and not only single packages. This could clarify each
category meaning.
e.g. if math is "things that can be used to easily do math" then clisp
is in (as it is python, for one), if it is "programs born to do math"
then they aren't... it's just a definitions issue, nothing more.

Robert? Would this be particularly difficult for setup.exe structure to do?
(I could volunteer a patch maybe, but I'm not confident (yet) with setup
code)

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)