Packaging GAP

chris caj@cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 15:00:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am considering trying to package "GAP", a famous group manipulation
package
( http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~gap/  ). It is very large (full
install is almost 300MB!), but does compile out of the box on cygwin
with one tiny exception.

I haven't tried to package anything before, so am currently reading the
various guidelines. But I thought I would ask early if such a large
package would be accepted?

Also, the tiny exception
Part of the makefile does "strip gap", which fails due to the fact the
executable is of course called "gap.exe". Many things in cygwin seem to
work with or without the ".exe", so is this something that should be
fixed at the "strip" end, or by fiddling with the configure script?

Thank you,

Chris