Problem uninstalling XFree86-bin-icons

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Oct 2 22:13:00 GMT 2003

Setup Dudes,

Okay, I did some more debugging.

Changes and Scenario
====================
1) I copied the text out of /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-bin-icons.sh and
stuck it in /etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh to get rid of a couple
levels of indirection.  I changed the script just slightly so that it
always tries to create icons.

2) I ran the script from setup.exe, it gave the following in /var/log/:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -A -P

3) I edited /etc/X11/icon-list and made two copies of the line that
calls cygpath:

TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"
TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

4) I reran setup.exe and got the following in /var/log:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -A -P

5) cygpath -A -P is supposed to return something like the following:

/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs

6) I figured that maybe cygpath was having a problem determining the
path for All Users (maybe a permissions problem when run from setup, I
don't know), so I changed /etc/X11/icon-list to the following:

TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

7) I reran the script again in setup.exe and got the following in /var/log:

+ . /etc/X11/icon-list
+++ cygpath -P

So, the change to icon-list was picked up, but either cygpath or bash is
still crashing.

8) This time I changed /etc/X11/icon-list to the following, getting rid
of the use of "cygpath" altoghether:

TOPFOLDER="/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start
Menu/Programs/Cygwin-XFree86"

9) I reran this script in setup.exe and got successful output in
/var/log/setup.log.full.  Note that all previous times had output from
postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh in a temporary file with a name along
the lines of /var/log/setup.log.postinstall%GARBAGE%.  So, the script
obviously completed this time, where it was hanging previously.

Looks to me like the problem is generic to cygpath when called in
certain ways from setup.exe.  I will elaborate on this shortly.

Harold