[RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Thu Nov 27 08:57:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 11:14:29AM +0800, Dean Scarff wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I currently have an entry in /etc/passwd:
> root:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:500:513:U-SCARFF-BOX\root,S-1-5-21-1606980848-1563985344-1060284298-500:/home/root:/bin/bash
>
> This is a side-effect of using mkpasswd with the Administrator user
> renamed to root on XP.  For me (and others like me who renamed the
> Administrator user) will this cause problems?  Forgive me if I've

Not the above adding of the admins group as "root" to /etc/group.

But it is also the intend to create a "root" user which has the necessary
rights to do all the ugly stuff like LocalSystem.  I'd appreciate if
you would read the whole thread again and then to discuss solution of
that problem.

> overlooked where this point was addressed before in the thread, I only
> followed it loosely.

Too bad.  Why am I trying to discuss this stuff in public?

Red Hat, Inc.