docbook-xml42, docbook-xsl, xmlto (RE: Pending package status (09 May 2003))

Marcel Telka marcel@telka.sk
Fri May 16 15:28:00 GMT 2003

Hi Andreas.

On 2003.05.16 16:23, Andreas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tested all packages and they installed the things properly.
> Everything
> runs smooth and their use is straightforward. Some notes about these
> packages are below...

> Marcel, it would be great if both the dtd and stylesheets would allow

DTD supports different versions installed. DTD 4.2 is installed in
/usr/share/docbook-xml42
DTD 4.1.2 should be installed in
/usr/share/docbook-xml412
and so on (there is not yet DTD 4.1.2 packaged for cygwin).

My idea is to support different DTDs (as mentioned above) and only one
xsl (current). Is there a reason to support different versions of the
XSL installed at the same time? Note: xmlto uses only "current" version
of the stylesheets.

> have different versions installed. What do you think about a structure
> like:
> /usr/share/docbook/dtd/{VERSION}
> /usr/share/docbook/xsl/{VERSION}

This directory structure looks good for me with one exception, xsl not
versioned, so:
/usr/share/docbook/dtd/4.2
/usr/share/docbook/xsl

If this gets some votes (and voices) I'll change the structure in the
next package releases.

> How would these structure fit for the catalog file? Does it imply to
> have
> one centralized catalog file that is updated each time a dtd package
> is
> (de)installed?

Where is the problem? One centralized catalog file /etc/xml/catalog
looks good for me (as it is done now).

> I don?t know if this is a regular review but these packages helped me
> a lot
> when processing docbook xml sources to get html and xhtml.
>
> I really want to see this packages in the distro. Here is my vote for
> all
> three.

Thank you.

Regards.