Setup auto-dependency generation?

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Thu Jun 5 15:13:00 GMT 2003

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> I'll just throw this out there to see if it's more burger than bun.  This
came
> to mind when I read the "libpcre setup.hint is BROKEN" thread: Would it be
> possible for upset or something to automatically generate the
> setup.hint/setup.ini dependencies, or at least check them?  Seems to me
that,
> since cygcheck will output a list of required DLLs, that a little bit of
perl
> could:
>
> 1.  Generate a DLL->Package map for all packages in Setup (this already
exists).
> 2.  Get a list of DLLs required by all EXEs/DLLs in a package using
cygcheck.
> 3.  Look up the DLL names in the DLL->Package map.
> 4.  Generate or check the "requires" line of said package.
> 5.  Lather, rinse, repeat for each package.
>
> Of course there may be more dependencies than just EXEs->DLLs, but I'd
assume
> this is the major one, and it would at the very least be a partial
solution to
> dependency problems (it would have prevented the libpcre problem anyway).
>
> It's early in the morning (they added a 9:30 in the morning now, lousy
> government) and I'm thinking even less clearly than normal; I'm just
asking if
> it's possible and/or makes any sense, so please no "PTC"s, I'm well aware
of the
> drill.

It makes sense to me. I've thought about something like this, but never
tried to implement it.

One thing I would note: Probably not so suitable for upset - since this
method needs to decompress every binary package. However, a standalone tool,
possibly writing a cache of contained DLLs and discovered dependencies,
could work well.

Max.