libiconv & gettext (many)

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Fri Jul 25 15:53:00 GMT 2003

cgf@redhat.com wrote:

>>>The gettext manpages were installed into usr/share/man/*
>>
>>Actually, now that I think about this, is it so bad?  /usr/share/man/*
>>IS in the FHS.  Would it be so awful to (a) allow both /usr/share/man
>>and /usr/man, and/or gradually transition to a more compliant (e.g.
>>/usr/share/man) hierarchy?
>

> I had the same thought.  I don't have any problems with the gradual adoption
> of /usr/share/man, as long as the "man" command works with it, of course.
>
> I wish we'd used /usr/share/man from the start, in fact.  Oh well.

While we're at it, "It Would Be Nice" to start transitioning to bzip2
compressed manpages, now that our man supports them.  This wasn't so
much a problem when Cygwin had only a few packages, but now the man
directory is starting to get a little "bloated".  I'm not sure if our
texinfo/pinfo supports them, but bzip2ing the info's would be great as
well.  Just a thought...

Cheers,
Nicholas