Proposal: naim

Fri Jul 11 23:58:00 GMT 2003

Daniel Reed wrote:

> On 2003-07-11T10:25-0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> ) On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:
> ) >  requires: libncurses6 cygwin
> )              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> ) Shouldn't this be libncurses7 already?
>
> naim should function with any version of ncurses since 4.0 (libncurses[5-7]
> are all ncurses-5.x releases). I was confused to see such a major
> distinction between two 5.2's and 5.3 in Cygwin (major enough to warrant
> separate package names), so I just picked the oldest one that people might
> have installed that didn't have the word "compatibility" in it, which was 6.
> Any of the ones available now should work equally well, so I'll bump it to
> libncurses7 if 5 and 6 are being phased out--it's just that there's no need
> to require 7 if you already have 5 or 6 installed.

No, that's not the way this works.

naim requires whichever version of ncurses it was compiled against.  End
of story.  ("compiled against" means "the version of the import library
that was installed on the developer's system."  If you're not sure, just
compile the app, and run cygcheck on the executable.

See, libncurses6 package contains cygncurses-6.dll.  libncurses7 package
contains cygncurses-7.dll.

naim.exe "knows" that it wants (e.g.) cygncurses-7.dll -- it WILL NOT
even attempt to use cygncurses-6.dll.  If it can't find -7.dll it will die.

Therefore, (in my example) the naim package should depend on
libncurses7.  Period.  You don't get to choose.

--
Chuck