proposal: ioperm support for Cygwin

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Fri Jan 24 13:57:00 GMT 2003

I don't think this has come up before, but is there any
reason why this couldn't be added to the Cygwin dll [either
now or at some later date]?  The framework appears to be
somewhat similar to how we are going about implimenting SysV
IPC's.  The only issue might be how to deal with the driver
[arguably a very touchy subject].  I would argue that our
touching the registry alone is much worse then installing a
system driver.  As long as it is not orphaned, it shouldn't
be a big deal.  In any event, the interface could be purely
optional in the same way that cygserver will be.  One could
possibly even break the driver and binary out into a
seperate package.  Any thoughts?  The only reason I bring
this up is the fact that ioperm() is a part of linux's
glibc, so most applications which would use it expect it to
be available via the system's libc.  In any event, it just
seems it might be easier to do it this way.  However, this,
of course, depends on the wishes of the author concerning
licensing agreements.  Just a thought, though...

Cheers,
Nicholas