libtool error while building setup as a Cygwin app

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 25 16:46:00 GMT 2003

Max Bowsher wrote:

>>$ cygcheck -c autoconf autoconf-devel autoconf-stable automake
>>automake-devel automake-stable
>>Cygwin Package Information
>>Package             Version
>>autoconf            2.54-1
>>autoconf-devel      2.57-1
>>autoconf-stable     2.13-4
>>automake            1.7.1-1
>>automake-devel      1.7.2-1
>>automake-stable     1.4p5-5
>

> Me too. Those are the [curr] versions.
>
> I'm really confused what could be causing this.

I hate to say this, but try removing the autotool gen'ed files and
running the bootstrap script again (yes, I know this is the "try
rebooting" answer).  I've noticed some intermittent weirdness where the
libtool script doesn't get generated properly -- but it's intermittent
so I can't track it down.

Most commonly, when I see an "unable to infer tagged configuration", if
I look at the actual libtool script I can see that it is improperly
formed.  Re-bootstrapping usually fixes it.  Sigh.

--Chuck