pdksh package proposal

Pavel Tsekov ptsekov@gmx.net
Thu Feb 20 11:37:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've reviewed the package files and found the following:

1. The CYGWIN-PATCHES includes two patches - you only need the one
in pdksh-5.2.14-1.patch. It's not good to keep the patch itself in
CYGWIN-PATCHES, it should be extracted in /usr/src. Take a look at
http://cygwin.com/setup.html, the part about 'Method One', to see
how to properly generate the patch.

2. In CYGWIN-PATCHES you have to put also the Cygwin specific readme +
setup.hint, the patch then should reflect this.

3. The Cygwin specific readme contains this:

Build instructions:
  unpack pdksh-5.2.14-1-src.tar.bz2
    If you used setup to install this src package, it will
    be unpacked under /usr/src automatically
  cd /usr/src
  ./pdksh-5.2.14-1.sh all

This will create:
  /usr/src/pdksh-4.2.14-1.tar.bz2
  /usr/src/pdksh-5.2.14-1-src.tar.bz2

This is not correct. From what I see the source package is using 'Method
One' for preparing a Cygwin package. This doesn't involve the build script
written by Charles Wilson. If i'm wrong and you actually used such a
script then you should include it in the root of the source package along
with the patch.

4. I see that the binary package includes /usr/bin/ksh.exe. It may be
better to renamed this to /usr/bin/pdksh.exe, just in case someone
packages AT&T's ksh for Cygwin.