[ITP] elinks-0.9.0

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Sat Dec 27 00:07:00 GMT 2003

Frédéric,

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>I would like to contribute and maintain elinks:
>

> I didn't test the source package, only the binary.
>
> 1- I think /usr/lib/charset.alias and
> /usr/share/locale/locale.alias shouldn't be included.

You are probably right.  I wonder why they have them in their 'install'
target.  I'll remove them manually in our 'install' step before packaging.

> 2- It's sort of broken under cmd.exe. See
>
> http://www.pervalidus.net/tmp/elinks1.png (the cursor)
> http://www.pervalidus.net/tmp/elinks2.png
> http://www.pervalidus.net/tmp/elinks3.png (corrupts the screen
> when you scroll text)

I'm willing to let this be a "known issue" until someone steps in with a
bug fix.  It certainly isn't work keeping the package out of Cygwin only
for this reason.  Including the package at this point makes it more
likely that someone will find the problem and present a fix.

> It works fine with rxvt and XTerm, and also with cmd.exe under
> screen.
>
> No idea what's causing it. 0.4.3 works fine.
>
> 3- Sites which use compression (like Slashdot) may hang it.
>
> "Received 21 KiB of 41 KiB, speed 27 KiB/s"
>
> and it stays here forever.

slashdot.org works for me.  No problems.  Got any other sites that I can
try it with?  Give me exact URLs so that I don't accidentally point to
version of the site that doesn't have compression enabled.

> 4- It requires cygx11-6.dll (and cygcygipc-2.dll). Use a static
> cygx11 or --without-x. The option only adds a window title.

Very good point.  I thought it was silly to have a dependency on X, but
it was not exactly apparent what the dependency provided.  I am changing
my build script to use --without-x.

> 5- You didn't use --enable-leds --enable-fastmem
> --enable-256-colors --enable-local-cgi. They don't seem to
> cause any problems.

--enable-local-cgi doesn't seem necessary, does it?  The others seem
valid to me and I will add them to the build script.

Thanks for the review.  I will post a new ITP in a few minutes.

Harold