[Patch] Keep Button

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Fri Nov 29 06:09:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 09:28, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>>> 1) The prev trust level hasn't been removed as a group decision. You
>>> need to keep that for now at least.
>>
>> I'm confident it will be shortly.
>
> Does that change my statement?

No. I should have explained myself better: I'm reluctant to enlarge the
patch, when I believe that by the time that the other issues below have been
resolved, this will no longer be an issue.
In the (IMO unlikely) event that this issue becomes the only one blocking
this patch, then I will happily fix it.
So, please ignore this issue until the others below have been resolved, at
which point, I will either fix it, or it will have gone away by itself.

>>> 2) You are not checking requirements for packages, so if the user
>>> removes <foo> they will be left with a broken install.
>>
>> Um? I'm just resetting all packages to what is installed already.
>> Admittedly, it won't *fix* an install if the user has already
>> manually broken dependencies, but I don't understand how it can
>> break an install.
>
> If a package is released with broken dependencies (as has happened
> before) then this won't correct it for them, ever.

Hmm. To me 'Keep' should mean 'Keep' not 'reevaluate dependencies and do
something else'. I mean, the user could equally well manually click through
to keep on each package. Unless we are going to forbid that, I think the
behaviour of my patch is correct as it stands.

> It's also the wrong approach IMO. We should offer single package
> selection for this problem, not freeze the whole environment. I.e.:
>
> Choose one of:
> Update cygwin install (we make this the default)
> Install a single new cygwin package.
>
> Where the lower one offers none of the complexity of the current
> choose, just a single, searchable list of packages. Once that is
> selected, a partial screen appears listing the minim changes needed
> to support that package.

Umm... yuk!

2 things. One: What about installing 2 new packages?
And Two: Why make a new way to do something instead of improving what we
already have, and is nearly right anyway?

Max.