Detecting NetworkSimplicity in setup.exe

Robert Collins rbcollins@cygwin.com
Tue Nov 19 05:04:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 12:01, Max Bowsher wrote:
> I've just installed the latest version of NetworkSimplicity (renaming my
> Cygwin registry keys first).
>
> I propose a 3-level system for detecting problematical mount tables:
>
> When NetworkSimplicity is installed, setup can simply look for "OpenSSH on
> Windows *" in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\.
> In this case, warn the user that Cygwin and NetworkSimplicity are mutually
> incompatible (perhaps link to a webpage with a detailed explanation?), and
> terminate the install.

Hmm, I'm not keen on this one. It would be nice to coexist.

> As a fallback method, check the mount table mount table with the following
> characteristic:
> /bin == /ssh == /usr/bin == /usr/lib == /usr/local/bin == /usr/local/etc
> This particular odd layout is unique enough to assume that NetworkSimplicity
> was installed, but has been uncleanly removed. Therefore display a message
> explaining that the mount table is left over from a NetworkSimplicity
> install, and offer to either wipe the mount table and recreate it, or exit
> setup.

Yep, if N/S is not there, cleaning up is appropriate.

> Lastly, as a final contingency, check for /bin == /lib or /usr/bin ==
> /usr/lib. In that case, warn, and offer to revert the mount table to Cygwin
> defaults, or continue.

Agreed.

> Perhaps, when setup is doing an update rather than an initial install,
> behaviour should be more relaxed - for example, don't exit setup, just shout
> loudly.

Nyah, just make a command option to ignore 'insane mount tables'. That
gives the know-it-alls a knob to twist.

Rob

--
---