URL paths in setup.exe

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Tue May 7 04:54:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins wrote:

> I'd like to formalise what file:// and cygfile:// schemes mean.
>
> file:// is a native filesystem URL handler - whatever the OS may be.
> cygfile:// is a handler that only makes sense on mingw platforms, and
> access's the cygwin mount table.

cygfile:// makes no sense at all on my MinGW platforms.  What mingw are
you talking about?
cygfile:// to me only makes sense in Cygwin land.

> This means that:
> file:///foo/bar.txt is /foo/bar.txt on posix, and Current
> drive:\foo\bar.txt on mingw.

I don't see that working natively, so it doesn't work on my MinGW, what
mingw are you talking about?  I tried both Netscape and IE, they both
understand file://c:/temp/foo.txt, though.  However, file:///temp/foo.txt
wasn't found.

> As for file:// + d: + \foo\bar.txt, can we normalise that as
> file://d|/foo/bar.txt - that is what MS do, and will be less confusing
> for users of the codebase (IMO).

As I've already stated file://c:/foo/bar.txt also works.

Earnie.