SETUP: Is chooser integration as setup page really a good idea?

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Thu May 2 21:48:00 GMT 2002

> Hello,  Robert has been waiting with including Gary's patch to
> integrate the chooser as a 'normal' setup page.  I am wondering if it
> actually is a good idea to do it.

Of course it is! ;-)

> My main worry is the limited size
> of the 'normal' setup window compared with the size of the now
> separate chooser window.

It's actually not as great a difference as you'd suspect, but yes, it is a bit
smaller.

> This is especially an issue when using large
> fonts. Also if (some time) functionality is added to show the ldesc
> than we even need more space (or a separate window again).

Or tooltips.  Now that'll be marvellous. ;-)

>  Even now,
> with the separate chooser window, the 'Bin' and 'Src' text labels in
> the header do not display correctly: they get shortened to 'B..' and
> 'S..'.

My thinking on this is that there should be autosizing of the columns (if there
isn't already) that automatically makes sure that nothing's clipped and that no
space is being wasted.

>  So what do you think? Can we redo the chooser so it fits in
> the smaller window or should we leave it as a separate one?  Hope
> this does not start a religous war ...  Ton van Overbeek

My gut feeling is that it should not be a separate window, just on principal.
If it comes down to it, I think I'd rather see the size of the entire wizard get
bigger and have it one of the pages rather than have it separate.  But I don't
think it'll come to that.

I've been using my local integrated build for a while now and there's really no
problem, other than the description being cut off, which was happening anyway.
And remember, we have top men working on it, so however it shakes out, rest
assured that it'll be getting better all the time!

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.