RFD: gettext, iconv, packaging...

Gerrit P. Haase gp@familiehaase.de
Mon Jun 24 06:33:00 GMT 2002

Hallo Charles,

Am Sonntag, 23. Juni 2002 um 02:06 schriebst du:

> relinking. (2)

> (1) *EVERY* time you do another 'make' invocation, libtool relinks the
> .exe's.  This is because 'make' is looking for foo.exe in <working dir>,
> but foo.exe is in <working dir>/.libs/.  The only thing in <working dir>
> is the libtool wrapper script, foo.  So, we relink. again and again and
> again... :-(

I had an idea about this long time ago: why not teach libtool to name
the libtool wrapper scripts that are used in the <working dir> with
suffix .exe, it then should see that they are already there and won't
relink them every make call?

> (2) When doing a 'make install', libtool insists on relinking the
> libraries.  But, it doesn't understand DESTDIR -- so even though I *HAD*
> a perfectly good 'cyggettextlib-0.11.2.dll' which depended on the new
> cygintl-2.dll -- the NEW relinked one gets linked against -L/usr/lib and
> picks up cygintl-1.dll.  (libtool thinks that libintl.la has already
> been installed into /usr/lib, and assumes that -L/usr/lib is the right
> thing to do.  But libintl.la was installed into $(DESTDIR)/usr/lib.)

If we prefix every PATH statement with $DESTDIR the resulting .la file
will contain wrong paths? (E.g. libdir='$DESTDIR/usr/lib').  But then a
minor fix on these .la files would be all to be done before packaging up
the binary package.

Gerrit
--
"All faults& bugs are mine - Robert"
    from squid/acinclude.m4,   Sun Apr 21 05:21:21 2002