aalib-1.4.0 ready for review/upload [was: Re: [ITP]: aalib-1.4.0]

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Wed Jun 19 07:46:00 GMT 2002

Greetings,

The packages for aalib are finally ready for review and upload!  I used
  method #2 for packaging and building.  I have made some modifications
and split the packages into a core and runtime library version per the
advice of Chuck.  The packages are:

aalib
libaa0

Although this is mostly a console application library, there are some X
applications which use it, so I have also linked against the X11 runtime
library.  There were some variables which were auto-imported at
link-time, but they don't seem to be causing any issues, as the tests
work fine.  Note that I also generated the source tarball from CVS
sources, due to the fact that I found fixes in the CVS that I liked and
the fact that the latest releases were all release candidtates.  The
problem was they were all 1 year old!  The author is at-large, so future
development on this project may be slow.  Finally, I have included both
static and shared libraries, so if you prefer static, besure to link
with the -static flag when using gcc.  I have attached the readme for
your reference.  For a sample of what this library can do, go to:

http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/gallery/holecek.html

Here is where to get the packages:
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/aalib/setup.hint
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/aalib/aalib-1.4.0-1.tar.bz2
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/aalib/aalib-1.4.0-1-src.tar.bz2
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/aalib/libaa0/setup.hint
http://today.clemson.edu/cygwin/release/aalib/libaa0/libaa0-1.4.0-1.tar.bz2

Here are the setup.hints:

<aalib>
category: Graphics Libs Text
requires: cygwin ncurses libaa0 XFree86-bin
sdesc: "A graphics library for ascii art rendering - programs, docs, and
development"
ldesc: "AA-lib is a low level gfx library just as many other libraries are.
The main difference is that AA-lib does not require graphics device. In
fact, there is no graphical output possible. AA-lib replaces those
old-fashioned output methods with powerful ascii-art renderer.  AA-lib
API is designed to be similar to other graphics libraries."

<libaa0>
category: Graphics Libs Text
requires: cygwin ncurses XFree86-bin
external-source: aalib
sdesc: "A graphics library for ascii art rendering - runtime"
ldesc: "AA-lib is a low level gfx library just as many other libraries are.
The main difference is that AA-lib does not require graphics device. In
fact, there is no graphical output possible. AA-lib replaces those
old-fashioned output methods with powerful ascii-art renderer.  AA-lib
API is designed to be similar to other graphics libraries."

Cheers,
Nicholas