Apache -5 install clobbers /etc/apache files

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 17 13:16:00 GMT 2002

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>>All my files in /etc/apache (besides httpd.conf~) were clobbered
>>when installing 1.13.24-5 over 1.13.24-1.  How can this happen???
>>

> To be exact, the -1 version removed it during uninstall.
> Well, shit happens....

No, this is a packaging *error*.  Packages (like apache) should NOT
install configuration files, for precisely this reason.  They should
install "default" files, and then cp them IFF the "real" file doesn't
exist.

e.g.

apache-VER-REL.tar.bz2 contains
   /etc/httpd.conf.default
   /etc/postinstall/apache.sh

apache.sh:
--------
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -f /etc/httpd.conf ] ; then
   cp /etc/httpd.conf.default /etc/httpd.conf
fi
--------

--Chuck