package offering: gnupg

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Sun Jun 9 06:34:00 GMT 2002

Hi!

> I think Chuck better look at the buildscript, there seem to be a couple
> of (unnecessary?)kludges throughout the script.  For instance,
> re-autoconfilizing the autoscripts shouldn't be a necessary step in the
> user build process.  You should do that ahead of time, delete the
> autom4ate.cache and other garbage, then make a diff against the
> results...

Yes, but this way it keeps the diff small. I can remove the autoconf garbage
via the install script, but I thought the source package is for developers
they should know what they do. I should change the "Build instructions" part
of gnupg.README to:
-------------
Build instructions:
   unpack gnupg-1.0.7-X-src.tar.bz2
     if you use setup to install this src package, it will be
	 unpacked under /usr/src automatically

- To rebuild the binary and sourrce archiv type:
$ cd /usr/src
$ ./gnupg-1.0.7-1.sh all

This will create:
   /usr/src/gnupg-1.0.7-X.tar.bz2
   /usr/src/gnupg-1.0.7-X-src.tar.bz2

- To get the modified source to build the cygwin executables type:
$ cd /usr/src
$ ./gnupg-1.0.7-1.sh prep

This will unpack and patch gnupg to:
   /usr/src/gnupg-1.0.7-X
-------------

After the prep you can change, patch or modify whatever you like and issue
a "./gnupg-1.0.7-1.sh spkg" afterwards. You will get a small gnupg-1.0.7-1.diff
in a new source package. Befor your next "gnupg-1.0.7-1.sh all" just remove
"gnupg-1.0.7-X.*" .

> There are a few other things that could be improved in the
> source package ( but I'll leave it to the veteran package maintainers to
> comment ), but AFAICT the binary package works fine.

If the preferable way is a big patch and no auto* stuff, just say so and I
will change it. Also please name any problem in the source package.

Bye
    Volker