ITP: profile

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 10:08:00 GMT 2002

John Morrison wrote:

> Hi Gerrit :)
>
> > From: Gerrit P. Haase [mailto:gp@familiehaase.de]
> > Hallo John,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, 28. Juli 2002 um 17:13 schriebst du:
> >
> > > I also don't know how to indicate to the user that this package has
> > > changed.  Should it copy the current profile to, for example,
> > > profile-old-`date`?  Should it do anything at all?
> >
> > If the current /etc/profile is removed then there should be a backup.
> > Anyway there should be a short note that there was a change which
> > needs investigation.

I don't know that this should occur, however, any user specific profile
settings should be in the ~/.bash_profile and/or ~/.profile files.  User
specific changes to /etc/profile should be discouraged.  So a backup of
the current /etc/profile file is more than adequate.  You know, I was
going to be negative about this but talked myself into a positive before
getting far into the post.

> > [...]
> > > <snip/>
> >
> > > again, this should be part of the bash package.
> >
> > You are the maintainer...
>
> If .inputrc is used by more than one shell, I'll be happy to
> add/maintain it.  For that matter, if the bash maintainer doesn't
> believe [s]he should...

I disagree with forcing the user to a generic ~/.inputrc.  Giving an
example in the home directory would be a good thing but not more than
that.

> J.
>
> (PS, I'm subscribed ;)

By this I assume you to mean that you don't need to be listed in the
distribution.  You need to set the Reply-To header if you want that to
happen.  See the archives of many lists for explanations.

Earnie.