libtoolize and glib-1.2.10 [Was: [ITP] libungif-4.1.0-1]

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 14 07:38:00 GMT 2002

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> A) FWICT, he isn't running autoheader/automake/autoconf, which means
> configure is not being regenrated.

Yes, I pointed that out in another message.

> B)He could try adding AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL right before AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> in configure.in, which should tell configure that building dlls is "OK".
> However, I will note that the end result is "undefined symbol
> Win@Main16" %50 of the time.

This symbol is deprecated in the -devel- versions of libtool.

> C)Can you help him by referring him to the best documentation for the
> whole process?  I would try, but I learned mostly from trial and error.
> (A howto for cygwin really should be written...).

I know, I know -- I've been promising to rewrite that section for a
while.  I'll get to it eventually.

The best "documentation" is probably my dllhelpers package on cygutils.

> D)As I have told you on countless occasions, I use autoupdate to get me
> started.  I then 'diff -u configure.in~ configure.in' to see what it
> changed.  After evaluating what it changed, I will then go in and hand
> edit/revert anything  else.  This method works quite well in that
> autoupdate 99% of the time does all the busywork for me,  leaving it to
> me to fix up any special cases or macros.

Yep, that's what I meant.

--Chuck