[maybe-ITP] FreeCiv for X

Lapo Luchini lapo@lapo.it
Tue Jul 2 02:42:00 GMT 2002

>>Do you think it would be nonetheless cool to have a game in cygwin
>>packages or its existance as a standalone Win32 program makes it
>>unnecessary?
>>

>Not at all!  Sure it would be cool to have that game.  Isn't it
>somewhat slow as a Cygwin app?

I don't know (yet), I didn't try cygwin-compiled version but instad I'm trying to compile my own.
(I never compiled X stuff, but I think I'm close)

Ohhhh... my installation missed Xfree-prog, now it configures correctly.
Compiling.... packaging... adjusting the script... re-compiling....

>I've been browsing the FreeCiv site, some time ago - I remember that
>in the ports section I red something about droping the cygwin version
>in favour of the native Win32 one. I don't remember the exact reason
>though.

Maybe just because Cygwin/Xfree was not simple to install (it was not in setup.exe, back then) and a win32 native port existed.. and nt much people, like me, prefer cygwin ports instead of native ports (e.g. I use cygwin's gpg)... better support for "home directories" and so on...

>Btw I don't know how slow the cygwin version is, but having bought
>Civ III, I can say that even the retail version gets pretty much slow
>when you advance through the game :))

I tried Civ3 at a friend's house but I really preferred Civ2 "feeling"... the new graphic is "too near".

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)