cygipc packaging was Updated setup.ini with descriptions, categories, and dependencies

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 3 07:50:00 GMT 2001

Ralf Habacker wrote:

<snip>

>>You also need some "system calls".  In linux, these are handled by the
>>kernel.  In cygipc, these are split between ipc-daemon (which implements
>>some stuff itself, or calls on the Win32 low-level IPC stuff), and the
>>client library libcygipc.a.
>>

> You write about Win32 low-level IPC: Could this not be used for creating an ipc
> deamon ?

Right -- and they are used in ipc-daemon and libcygipc.  However, as
usual, Microsoft did not follow the POSIX standard interface for IPC
stuff.  They windows-ized everything.  We have to write wrappers around
the low-level Win32 calls so that they look POSIX.  (Worse, it's not
really a one-to-one mapping.  There's other weirdness).

<snip>

>>aside; yeah, I've been desperately trying to contact Paul but he's not
>>returning my email.  There's a BIG bug in binutils that I can't fix, in
>>ADDITION to the memory leak that's causing you <ralf> so much trouble.
>>Sigh.
>>

> He don't answer any mail I have send too although he ask me to help him to get
> this feature running two month ago.

Paul "reappeared" in early August, but he's dropped out of sight again.