-src package standard: proposal #5 and #5a

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Wed Nov 14 07:47:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@cygnus.com>

> So, I think we just need to extend the category selection to allow
> a "Select All of this category" switch.  We don't need to worry about
> prev/curr, etc.

IMO that won't solve the pebcak issue we are facing.

Here's what I propose (temporary solution, long term is already documented
in wishlist - single window instead of dialogs, and better internal model to
allow easy coding.)

Add a new screen, that lists all packages of the category "metapackage".
Choose ONE of those before going to the main chooser screen, and that chosen
metapackage forms an additional filter over the base and misc categories for
defaulting packages to be installed.

This is short term code, but should allay the problem.

If you want to do something to help on this, put together a few
metapackages -
minimal (depends on nothing)
workstation (has an editor and other key tools)
developer (depends on workstation + gcc + python..)
server (inetutils squid etc)

Rob