RFC - a few packages

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sun Nov 11 15:11:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: "Gareth Pearce" <tilps@hotmail.com>; <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: RFC - a few packages

> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Dll number - there is a standard, and if you grab the hacked up
libtool
> > from chucks site, you will automagically create .dll's to that
standard.

> I don't think we can recommend that official ports be built with
unofficial
> tools (Corinna's sharutils requirement for openSSH notwithstanding).
For
> experimental ports, sure -- but not official ones, until one of the
> following two things happen:

I don't see why not...
1) the libtool scripts are contained within the source tree, no external
packages are needed. Just like auto* are not needed to rebuild a
package, unless Makefile changes are being made. (And even then libtool
doesn't need to get refreshed.
2) The infrastructure libtool uses is the released binutils code.

> b) we make your hacked libtool into an official package and don't wait
for
> Gary.

This is an option, but I don't favour it.

Rob