Wishlist & TODO's for setup.exe

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Fri Nov 2 11:07:00 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilson" <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <cygwin-apps@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Wishlist & TODO's for setup.exe

> Robert Collins wrote:
>

> > Anyone who wants to help, is welcome to join in. New work is going
onto
> > HEAD only (IOW, it's not being backported to the current live setup,
or
> > the now in maintenance mode categories setup.)
>

> Ummm...is the categories setup going to go live at some point, or is
it a
> dead end?  Are we just going ahead with HEAD, or what?  I thought the
"new"
> setup (categories) was first slated for release with 1.3.4, then with
> 1.3.5, but now I'm just confused.

The categories branch is live pending the change Brian and Earnie
vocally raised. That is that the download only should not show the
cygwin root selection window - and should not crash if cygwin's not
already installed.

> If we DO plan for categories setup to become live, what needs to
happen
> with for it to do so, so that we can lift the packages moratorium?

The above. And then it's good to go.

> I built setup a day or so ago, and it seemed to work okay as far as I
was
> concerned; no problems with packages that had been previously
installed but
>   no don't exist in setup.ini...

The HEAD branch is available for any new work - it won't affect the
categories stuff because it's been branched off. Once HEAD stabilises
again, we repeat this...

> I know of the following packages that are awaiting the end of the
moratorium:

> mktemp (me)
> sharutils (Corinna)
> autoconf-devel-*
> autoconf-stable-*
> autoconf (scripts)
> automake-devel-*
> automake-stable-*
> automake (scripts)
>
> (I know I am forgetting a LOT of stuff that's been mentioned by others
on
> the list over the past 5? months since the moratorium went into
effect...)

Yup. I'm *really* keen to get this out the door. It's one of the reasons
I offered to maintain setup.exe.

Rob