Package maintainer release procedures

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 20:34:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:11:40PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:

>>     Jerome> Bonjour:
>>
>>     Jerome> "How do I contribute a package" link in the FAQ:
>>     Jerome> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC76
>>
>>     Jerome> Follow the link and you shall get what you want.
>>
>> Hmm, well, the link talks about *packaging*, not package submision :-)
>> I already read the link from the FAQ you're refering to; I've packaged
>> up the binary and source tar balls following exactly this procedure.
>> Now, what I need to know is how to *upload* (not package) these files
>> to the mirrors.
>

>There are two ways:
>
>1) some contributors have login accounts on sourceware and upload new
>packages themselves.  The decision to grant such access is solely the
>responsibility of the Red Hat management folks.

>2) I have also seen cgf specifically request that a contributor mail the
>files to him, and he has placed them on sourceware.  (Don't just spam
>him with unsolicited tarballs, though -- wait for a request)

Right.  If you give me a URL so that I can download your tar balls, I will
do that.

>> Regarding the anouncement, I was planning on just sending to
>> cygwin-announce (and letting the moderator approve/reject my
>> announcement) but I wanted to know what the "approved" procedure was
>> before I did anything.
>

>That's the typical method -- just send your announcement to
>cygwin-announce, and the moderator will handle it from there. Use a
>recent announcement as a model for the "boilerplate" stuff.

Otherwise send them to me, one per email message, binary and source.  I want
to make sure that the installation "conforms" to our loose standards.

Until I set up some kind of cgi script for submitting these things, I
think that I would like to be the funnel for these requests for the time
being.  Although any cygwin developer can substitute in a pinch.

I'll still be email active for 24 hours or so, so if you send me this info
soon, I'll get this on sourceware.

Unfortunately, I have been the only email moderator for cygwin-announce.
I've just given Corinna this awesome power, though.  I hope that she is
ready for this ponderous responsibility.

If you send this to me and don't see any activity for a while, that
means I'm probably gone to the sunny shores of Cape Cod for two weeks.
So, feel free to send it to any cygwin developer who volunteers.

>As far as composition, some contributors are fairly sparse, leaving
>documentation to the README files; others (like me) prefer to put lots
>of info in the announcement to cut down on mailing list traffic from
>those who will read the ann. but not the README.  (I think "my side" has
>been winning points lately vis a vis the "cron" package...)

Or, like me, you could be sparse in both the announcement and the REAME...

cgf