bash completion (was: RE: Units)

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 09:56:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:13:35AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> Is there anything similar to this in Red Hat, Debian, SuSE, etc.?
>
>Well, /etc/profile, hosts, passwd, group and other core config files are
>owned by the 'setup' package in Red Hat Linux.  Then there's the
>initscripts package for the rc.d directory.  And most of the other files
>are owned by individual packages, like bash owns /etc/bashrc.
>
>My point is, RHL doesn't set any particular standard.  If anything, I'd
>give /etc/bash_completions to bash -- it's only useful when you install
>bash, and you have to upgrade bash to 2.05 or higher to use the
>completions.

That's where I would be leaning, too.  I think it makes sense to include
the completions in bash.  Or maybe in shellutils?

The only problem with this that I can see is that they'll be more "hidden"
there.  If they are a separate setup.exe package then it is more likely
that someone will notice them and say "Hey, cool!" and install them.

If they just slide in with a bash installation then, unless we make them
the default, it's more likely that people won't know what they have unless
they're reminded about it on the mailing list (or whereever).

Hmm.  Maybe I just convinced myself that they belong as a separate package.

cgf