Made many changes to setup.html

Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
Sun Dec 16 08:52:00 GMT 2001

Ok, here's my comments.

Chris, I'd like to make a few (non visible) changes for HTML conformance
to the header and menu on the main cygwin page. Is that ok with you?

Thank you for the examples - I think they will help a lot.

I've altered some things (mainly cosmetic or trivial). One in particular
was the recommendation to include bar as a dependency if you directly
require foo, and know that foo requires bar. That was wrong. The reason
it is wrong is that if foo is recompiled to not need bar, bar will be
pulled in _even though_ it is no longer needed. That would then require
work to correct your package's dependency list - and the whole point of
dependencies is to reduce effort, not increase it.

>From memory - Jonathan's work was a little incorrect. According to
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2.3 id is as equally
valid as name, and is required in certain circumstances. I see no reason
to change id to name, as there is no benefit (we're not using entities
or character references). I don't object to adding name to each A tag
though, although I don't really see the point.

Unfortunately I deleted Jonathan's email because I thought it went to
the list.... Jonathan could you please resend it to me (the id->name
change was all I recall :}).

Rob

===